Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Reggae Sunday Please

I have never heard of "Reggae Sunday" until I came down to Florida. It's pretty self explanatory. Reggae Sunday consists of live loud reggae music, dancing drinks all under the sun. I have only attended this once because usually Sunday is my day of rest and catch up on homework. This past Sunday I went over to the Conch House with some buddies to check out just exactly what this Reggae Sunday was all about. I have been to the Conch House for dinner with my family and didn't know what to expect.
I woke up that sunday and surfed and hung on the beach all day. We went over to the Conch House at around 3:00 in board shorts and tanks. It was $5 to get in and each drink was 8$ and you can top it off with a shot of 151 for free. We all got a drink and stood and talked for a little bit. I walked over to the bathroom where I witnessed a girl peeing in a urinal. It wasn't as weird as I dreamed a girl peeing in a urinal would be. I just kinda said "Hey, what's going on?" and peed beside her. As I was walking on the dock back to meet with my friends I couldn't wipe this stupid smile off my face. Just looking around and seeing everyone so happy and no one caring about what they looked like. Guys with long sun bleached hair and beards scruffy as hell, girls in sun dresses and bikini's with curly beachy hair smelling of coconut how could I not.
I come from a town where mostly everyone has short hair and shaved faces. Guys get their eye brows done and shave their arms. I just felt like I fit in this scene so much more then when I'm at home. No one tells me I need a hair cut and I don't even look at myself before I walk out the door.
The rest of the afternoon I found myself loosing my head, letting the reggae music take my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment